Tuesday, September 9, 2008

What does "relentlessly connected" really mean? (Ch 12)

The Carnegie Mellon study reveals some interesting facts, on one hand Internet users feel "more connected with family, friends and colleagues" and on the other end Internet users feel "relentlessly connected". 
It might have been interesting to get a break down of these results. For example, I am very happy about the fact that I am connected to my family and friends. It is great to be able to video chat for hours and catch up with my cousins who live in different countries. However, I do not want to be connected to my colleagues more than I am today and I think that's where the element of stress might come in. My manager sends me email anytime of day and night, my colleagues see me on instant message and start talking to me about a work issue when I am on my "own" time. I know there are ways to make myself available only when I want to and to certain people only but my point is work hours are no longer "office hours" so it is easy to end up working 12 hours per day which would stress anyone. Rules about "being connected to work" should be better defined.

1 comment:

Ibirapuera said...

In my view, there will not be a day when Internet users will feel "more connected with family, friends and colleagues" and at the same time not "relentlessly connected". For example, I am thrilled to talk my family and friends, but sometimes too much interaction push us to “give” more than we actually can at that present moment.

It is really interesting to pay attention to how people communicate - when they are using some technology and when they are talking in person to others. For example, when co-workers see my status as “busy” on MSN, most times they read it as “available”. I used to be more polite and respond right away, no matter how busy I was, but not anymore. On the other hand, when people want to start a conversation in person, and we say it is not a good time, it seems easier for them to respect that. This bipolar behavior indeed calls my attention.

I totally share the belief that “office hours" are now longer what they used to be. It is really challenging not to become stressed out with so much pressure. In order to have new ideas and to be creative, one should not stay connected to work 24/7.