Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Key messages and world views (Ch 15)

The authors asked the question of how many messages that shaped my worldview can I isolate or remember. These last few years, the media has been sending repetitive messages about the environment, informing people about global warming, future gas shortage, endangered species and so on. These messages have changed the way I view the world and the way I live. I recycle as much as I can and I use public transportation as often as possible. I turn off lights, changed all the bulbs in my house and walk more to the grocery stores. One message that does stand out is the message from the movie "an inconvenience truth" by Al Gore. The move gave specific recommendations on what to do to minimize our impact on the environment. The movie also open my eyes on the gravity of the issue.

2 comments:

SS said...

It’s amazing how repetitive messages can really get through to you and stick huh? I guess the media has been doing a pretty good job by “brainwashing” us into their sort of thinking by repeating the same message over and over again or by using extreme shock value to make us change our ways.

An example would be fast food. We all heard those around us say that fast food is bad, unhealthy and fattening but that message always went in one ear and out the other. Growing up, I LOVED KFC, McDonalds, Dairy Queen, Jack in the Box, Taco Bell, and pretty much anything else that was sugar filled or fried. However, a little documentary film called Super Size Me was released and I found myself visiting fast food restaurants less after witnessing a man experience organ failure after 30 days of eating only McDonalds food. What is more interesting is that McDonalds changed it’s business model and eliminated the Super Size option and created a “healthy” menu too.

crives said...

I have found that with the inundation of messages around the environment have caused me to just ignore them. I know that they will probably just say the same thing as a communication that was sent prior. If I have heard it once I have heard it again. I think I also have become jaded to the message because it seemed important at first until everyone jumped on the bandwagon. Now the message is the same but the intent and importance to the organization communicating it has lost its meaning. I still care about the environment and do my part but I don’t appreciate when the message becomes trendy.