Friday, September 26, 2008

Other thoughts about the research project (#2)

I have witnessed, like most people working, many organizational changes in my career. Some examples of changes are layoffs, management changes and the cancellation of projects I had been managing. Many times, the way my management communicated to me about these changes made me feel very uncomfortable, surprised and disappointed. Most of the time, these major changes were communicated over short emails or 5-minute conversation. Either way, I rarely had the opportunity to bring up questions or concerns. In addition, as soon as the change was communicated, my managers would consider the topic taboo. So it was clear that I should not bring it up anymore. I'd like to do more research on this topic and learn about the best way to communicate negative changes or bad news. I am sure I will be faced with this situation in my career and I'd like to handle it the best possible way.

No comments: