Friday, September 5, 2008

Coming to Terms with Ethics (Ch 14)

About a month ago, the company where I work (I will purposely not mention the name) gave all the employee a mini online training on "ethics". The whole exercise lasted approximately one hour. It consisted of five major parts on how to do business, treat customers and things you can do an not do. Each part has a "theory" section and a "question" section. Grades were not recorded, the only that was recorded is that you completed the training by the deadline. Basically the company was interested in exposing employees to ethical concepts. 
Before I took the training I did not think of it much, it was just one more thing to do but once I took it, it really helped clarify what was acceptable to do and what was not. Most of the time, common sense can be used but many other time, knowledge has to be used. One thing I learned is that we could call a number to ask about ethical behavior if we were in doubt. 
This training changed my behavior and made me realize that sometimes not knowing does not always mean that a person has no ethics.

No comments: