Thursday, September 25, 2008

Thoughts about the research project (#1)

One topic that stands out more than others is "intercultural communication" and "globalization". Since I moved to the Bay Area in 1994, I have been exposed to multiple cultures, first at school and then at work. One time during class, I remember my Finance professor listing the different countries represented in the classroom and finding out that there were 39 countries represented among 43 students. That moment was an eye opening moment for me and I realized what the word "global" really meant. Today, the trend continues and I work with people from many different countries and many different cultures. I'd like to better understand how my communication style impacts various culture and how I should adapt or change the way I communicate when addressing people from various culture. 

2 comments:

PinkLady said...

I also moved to the Bay area very recently (2 years ago) and it's amazing how much more "global" this area is. It's almost overwhelming and shocking how diverse this place is. I think that I have had to make some changes in the way I communicate with others since moving here. I have encountered some difficulties in adapting to the diversity here as well, and language has been the most difficult thing. The diversity here often poses a problem in understanding others who are from different countries. I was also thinking about doing a topic related to diversity and communication in the workplace since it is so prominent today.

Sree said...

I am planning to do the project in a similar topic. There are so many things to consider and understand in this area. I think communicating with people from different cultures becomes much more difficult when the people we are trying to communicate are not physically in same office and we need to communicate through conference calls, emails etc., One of the tasks that our team at work has is communicating with global project teams. Considerations like tone of communications, work patterns, cultural considerations etc are a few things we need to consider. Even when communicating in English sometimes habitually we use words that are not normal for people from other cultures this causes a lot of confusion.