Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The "Who" of Power (Ch 9)

When I start a new job, I am usually introduced to the management within the first few days. However, the people in management are not always the one making decisions. The challenge, when starting a new job, is to find who is really in power and who decides what and when. This takes longer to find out. Once I find out where the real power resides then it becomes easier for me to do what I need to do to be successful. Then I know who I need to influence if I need a specific piece of equipment or collaboration from another team.

2 comments:

Kartik J said...

The scenario of "real power" residing in a person who is not in management usually occurs when the person has power that stems from his or her valued skill, probably technical skill, which the company substantially benefits from that person. In such instances, the person's decision on a matter in his or her field is assumed to carry more weight compared to others in the same team, so that management implicitly trusts that person more than others, and entrusts power to that person rather than others. It can be a bit sensitive to deal with if the colleagues of this powerful person do not necessarily approve of this person possessing so much power.

CommBuzz said...

To continue the thread picked up by Kartik, I disagree that the comment that "real power" usually resides with the person who has "technical" skills. I believe power resides with decision makers who have the prerogative to overlook technical achievement for political or personal reasons. Kartik hints at one such possibility: jealousy, when he says "it can be a bit sensitive to deal with...colleagues" who don't approve of power relationships. That is the reason it usually takes time to find out where real power lies for new organizational members. When I join a new company I am friendly to everyone, but take my time before committing to closer relationships.