Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Styles of Conflict (Ch 10)

The diagram on page 290 showing various styles is very interesting. If I think about where I would position myself, I face a dilemma. For example, with my friends or socially I always place myself in the "collaborate" category. At work, in class or in more formal environment, I would place myself in the "accommodate" category but at home, I am definitely in the "compete" category. It is interesting to think about the different styles I might adopt based on situations in my life. The authors emphasize that all five styles are fine but to me they are based on specific situations. In my case, these styles are based on life “categories” not situations. I am always accommodating at work when in some situation maybe I should not be. This understanding is very consistent with what my manager wrote in my last review. He suggested that I work on becoming more assertive.

1 comment:

crives said...

I have experienced this in my own personal styles of conflict as well. I think that it is appropriate to adapt different when in different situations. You cannot always be assertive and you cannot always cooperative. There is a time and a place for all the different styles on the spectrum. I unfortunately lean more to the side of cooperation and I too have received the feedback that I need to be more assertive. This is one of the things that I struggle with greatly at my work. I am unable to stand up for myself, say no to new tasks, or give any form of criticism (constructive or otherwise). Seeing these styles put into this matrix helped to map out how I can achieve more assertiveness and still maintain high levels of cooperation.