Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Relationships and Productivity (Ch 6)

Reading about relationships and productivity on page 141 reminds me of my ex-manager. She was the perfect manager, the one you don’t even know can exist. Of all the manager’s I have had, she was the best. As an example, one day I was sick at home and she knew I was too sick to eat, so she decided to bring me lunch. She genuinely cared about me as a person and as a friend. She also showed me that my work mattered. She listened and addressed my concerns. In return I cared about her too and because of our relationship I was very productive. I worked long hours and weekends because I wanted her to look good. The nicer she was to me the more productive I was. Our relationship was a real partnership, based on trust. Unfortunately, this is very rare and only few people really understand and implement what she understood.

2 comments:

Ibirapuera said...

So far I recall having had some few “perfect managers”. Coincidently these people I am referring to used to work with me in one same company. However, I will talk about one of these managers: Claudia. She gave me a really “hard time” when time came for me to take my first vacation within this company. In Brazil, for example, employees must take 30 days vacation. The more flexible companies can be on this matter is to give employees the option to sell 10 days of vacation. But at the end, it is mandatory that all employees take at least 20 straight days vacation.

When it completed one year that I had been working for this company, I remember we were all very busy. I talked to my managers and suggested postponing my vacation. My manager was relatively upset with me, because I earned those vacation days, and I should take them, no matter what was going on at the company. And because we share a close relationship – like you and your “perfect manager”, she also helped me to plan my vacation.

In addition to all that, she was always concerned when I got sick, she asked about my family, my school, etc. I truly miss having her around, because after her, no other manager could keep up with Claudia - my former manager and friend for life.

charlemagne said...

That is, as you stated, a rarity in managers. I have never worked for such a manager. Most of the wound up on one of two opposites: cold and distant, or friendly and ineffective. Those who were distant cared only for the bottom line; if you were late or unproductive, you were corrected. It didn't really matter what circumstances were in place to effect performance. The other type was friendly: willing to accomodate needs, but not very effective at maintaining standards for the workplace. I agree with the assertion that a good relationship will encourage productivity in employees. Yet, I think that maintaining a personal relationship is often too much to handle when coupled with the absolute needs and requirements of the job.