Friday, October 10, 2008

The confusion about leadership (ch 7)

Last week, I received my review. One of the criteria my manager used to measure my performance was ‘leadership’. I thought about it and I was confused about what it really meant. My understanding on leadership was different than his. In my mind, I was not a great leader but in his I was. Reading about leadership helps me understand why we did not define leadership the same way. It seems that there is an academia definition of leadership and a business definition. As the authors state, people often tends to use interchangeably the terms “leaders” and “managers”. My manager was defining leadership as management. I was defining it more as an “influential person”. In order words, for him I was “doing things right” while I thought that I was not “doing the right thing”.

No comments: