Thursday, October 9, 2008

Synthetic Personalization of Communication (Ch 6)

The paragraph on page 155 is really interesting. I had never heard of the concept of “synthetic personalization of communication” or “technologizing of relational encounters”. It is true that when I emotionally connect with a representative, whoever this person is, from a company I tend to view the company in a more positive light. I would consequently go back to this company and continue to buy the product or the service. For example, it is necessary for me to connect with my hairdresser. If I do, then I’ll keep going back. Thinking about how these relationships may affect society is really scary to me. I had noticed more superficial relationship around me and I attributed the cause to the increased usage of computers. I never imagined that the cause might also come from the synthetic personalization of communication.

No comments: