Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Stress versus Burnout (Ch 10)

The definition of stress on page 299 and the fact that it can be positive are interesting. I have always used the words stress and burnout interchangeably. It seem that people always complain about stress. The word is often used with a negative connotation. But I now can appreciate the difference. A few months ago, my Director, gave me a “challenge assignment”. It was an new opportunity for me that was both important and had a high level of uncertainty. I was both excited and stressed. Excited because I had been given an opportunity to show my skills and stressed because I might not be able to do what was expected of me. I can see how “stress” can be positive but I still believe that there is a fine line between stress as a positive force and stress as a negative force.

3 comments:

Professor Cyborg said...

In the public speaking book I recently published the second chapter discusses speech anxiety and stress. In that chapter I emphasize the importance of managing stress rather than making it go away completely. Stress serves as a motivator to get things done, such as work on a speech or a report. Or in your case, a challenge assignment. That kind of situational stress provides energy to take the action needed to accomplish a task. Chronic stress, however, is a problem, because it doesn't serve as a motivator. Instead, the person just feels overwhelmed and helpless, so stress interferes with getting the job done.

PinkLady said...

As you point out, the word stress is often used negatively. I have always associated stress with being tired and too busy, etc. It never occurred to me that it could be a positive thing. But now I do realize that it's stress that makes me get things done and motivates me to do it well. I think if I was not stressed and always feeling laid back, I would never get any work done. I actually work better under stress; most of my class work gets done at the last minute. I also never thought to distinguish between chronic and situational stress, but I now see the important differences between the two.

Janet S. said...

Reviewing this section of the book, I find it quite enlightening. I've always been criticized for my over-dramatization of stressful situations. My friends often tell me, "You're too stressed out." Which is true, according to the book's definition: "Stress [...] has been defined quite simply as a psychological response in which a situation is seen as important, involves uncertainty, and is interpreted as being an opportunity, constraint, or demand" (299). I deal with stress everyday!

However, Prof Cyborg brings up a good point that chronic stress is debilitating. It is important to realize the different ways that people deal with stress, whether it taking drugs, talking to friends, or yelling at colleagues, we all make choices about how to manage our daily stresses. Not all management techniques are healthy or productive. I might need to reconsider my social networks for a more meaningful process of handling my stress.