Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Building a Strong Individual-Organization Relationship (Ch 4)

I found the concepts presented in box page 101 very interesting. I can relate to the first stages listed. When I joined my last company, my interviewers painted a great realistic image of the environment. My “entry” was successful and so was my “learning” stage. I was able to quickly find my role in the company. In the “negotiation” stage, my manager gave me excellent feedback on my performance however things started heading in the wrong direction when I reached the “mutuality” stage. By that point I had another manager who did not quite see things the same way I did. The opportunities presented to me did not allow me to continue my growth. I think that is a difficult phase to be in for both companies and employees. Economic downturns and company difficulties do not allow for managers to focus on employees growth, during these times most managers focus on getting work done and survival.

1 comment:

PinkLady said...

I think many employees feel this way once they reach mutuality stage. At this point, the manager needs to evaluate the employee and make a decision as to how to provide new opportunities to allow for growth. This is often subjective and very time consuming. If employees are not given opportunities for promotion, training, growth, etc. at the mutuality stage then they feel like their efforts have gone unnoticed. This usually ends up with the employee leaving the organization to pursue a more worthwhile opportunity. So for the organization, it's important to recognize when their employees are ready for the next step and provide ample opportunity for advancement or else they will likely lose valuable people.