Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Effect of Gender on Verbal and Non-Verbal Communications in the Work Place

I always figured there were differences between the verbal and the non-verbal communication between males and females but I did not what these differences were. Reading this poster has helped me understand how to better communicate when I communicate with my colleagues and my manager.

For example, you wrote that Allen and Griffith’s study suggests that “female employees send less information to their supervisors than male employees”. When I think about it I see that this is true for me. I do not send as much information to my supervisor as my male colleague. Now, I can see that this can be perceived as me interacting less with my supervisor than my colleague.

This is just one example. Reading your web poster made me more aware of how my communication verbal and non-verbal can be more efficient in the work place.

3 comments:

Professor Cyborg said...

Gender differences in workplace communication have yet to be satisfactorily documented. For example, early research found that in small groups, men interrupted more and tended to dominate the conversation. But once organizational status was taken into account, those differences went away. That is, the differences were grounded in organizational power rather than gender. What may be a more interesting line of research is perceptions of communication based on the communicators' sex. In public speaking, for instance, male speakers are often viewed as more influential and persuasive, even when both female and male speakers display similar behaviors. Female speakers’ credibility tends to rest primarily on their use of trustworthy information sources. In contrast, male speakers’ credibility enjoys a broader base, including eye contact, idea organization, and vocal variety, as well as believable sources.

zamoradesign said...

Reading about the lack of communications to your supervisor made me think of my communications with my supervisor.I must admit that I communicate with him on a weekly basis. Most of the time it is to inform him of my schedule. Other times I'm replying to his questions about a problem he may be having. If the message is more about creating a paper trail for a situation that may need some justification in the future I'll go ahead and author the message. If it's something more important or more personal I'll call him direct.

Ibirapuera said...

Cathyblog08 website.
Indeed the differences between verbal and non-verbal communication between males and females are huge. I was quite interesting to learn more about it. The knowledge acquired will certainly come in handy to me whenever I am communicating – not only at work, but with my spouse, family, friends, and so on.

I have to disagree with this statement. My feeling is that women talk more than men. Consequently, my perception is that female employees tend to provide more information to their managers than male employees do. At work, for instance, it is common to see women stopping by other coworkers’ cubicles to talk. This indication somehow