Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Cross-cultural Communication (Kartik)

Today's bay area knowledge workers come from all the over the world and many people come from India. Understanding cultural differences is indeed crucial if one wants to have productive working relationships. I have been working with people from India for many years and I slowly learned about what is appropriate and what is not, like the example given with the handshake. I am sad to know that I have made some mistakes in the process but I eventually learned thanks to the patience of many people from India who eventually became my mentors and friends.
Learning and being culturally educated seems to become more important everyday and I am not surprised to know, based the research, that people that are better cross-culture communicators are paid more.

1 comment:

zamoradesign said...

Not only are we dealing with the cross cultural issues from knowledge workers, but we have been dealing with communication issues with the 'service workers' in these organizations for years. Many of these service workers that provide labor for cleaning and food service have long been a part of the interconnectedness of the corporate establishment. Showing the same respect of cultural education for "knowledge workers" to the "service workers" might bring about a deeper appreciation for all the contributors of the organization.