Thursday, November 6, 2008

Not communicating as the most effective way of communicating

One of my colleagues always wants to know about everything all the time. She wants to be copied on every email. She currently has over 6000 emails in her inbox. We go to meeting and she will ask questions about everything and interrupt everyone to give her opinion. While we all appreciate her input we feel that our meetings with her are not productive. So we all started sharing information about what she really needed to know and inviting her less to meetings. Some people just seem hungry for information yet they never "digest" it. Some people make the correct assumptions with the little amount of information provided to them. When communicating, one should always remember who she or he is talking to and remember that sometimes too much information is worse than silence.

2 comments:

PinkLady said...

That does sound really annoying and I don't blame you for not wanting to invite her to meetings. It's interesting that some people feel like they need to know everything. Personally, I don't want to know everything that's going on. It's too much information and unnecessary information is just distracting. I would lose my mind if I had 6000+ emails in my inbox. I wonder if your colleague feels that she can get ahead or gain some power/control by knowing everything that's going on? Or maybe she's just afraid of being left out. Either way, I agree that too much information can and too much talking by one person can have a negative effect.

CommBuzz said...

Indiscriminant information gathering would really make it difficult to sort through what is or is not relevant. In my previous position, I was on a lot of cc lists for email messages, and would get constantly interrupted by Outlook pop-ups announcing the next unnecessary newsletter, meeting minutes, or announcment. Unfortunatelly, our boss contributed to the problem by insisting that we sign up to be on various mailing lists. My current job is much better in this respect, in that I only need to check my mail about once per day. Consequently I feel less pressure, but still don't feel left out of the loop.